Sunday, November 19, 2006

Dusk VS Timberlake

What an awesome night! What a delicious supper! What a fantastic show! If you can't already tell, my date night was a huge success :o)

For some reason, Saturday flew by and I don't recall getting much done. I know I slept most of the afternoon, preparing myself for a late night. DH and I usually go to bed around 9 or 10 pm so anything over that is considered past our bedtime. LOL! I did start on my PIF project and got halfway done :o) It seems I only have one taker so far because no one else has signed up yet :o( Maybe you are all scared about my artistic ability ;o) Trust me, you'll like what I create and plus, you get to put a smile on the face of five other people!

I don't have many nice clothes to wear out but luckily I can still squeeze into my black dress pants! Whew! I topped it off with a black turtleneck sweater and my lovely pashmina that I got at TJ Maxx. DH wore a dress shirt and tie and was handsome as always :o) Shortly after 6 pm, DH and I headed into town and decided to try Brewbakers for supper. Boy, was it ever busy but luckily they were able to get us a table for two. It's been awhile since we've seen it that busy. All the quaint little nooks and crannies were full! We started our meal with fresh warm bread dipped in olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Yum! There is nothing simpler and nothing finer! For the appetizer, we both ordered the Mixed Green Salad. I went with the raspberry vinaigrette while DH decided on the sun dried tomato vinaigrette. For our main course, we decided to split one of their Shitake Mushroom and Brie brick oven pizzas. We weren't really too hungry so this was a perfect compromise and we were not disappointed either! I think I have found my new favorite dish :o) Because we were getting short on time, we had to skip dessert. That was okay because I don't think I could get much else to fit into those pants!

We had a nice brisk walk over to The Playhouse and arrived with about 10 minutes to spare. We quickly found our seats and settled in. DH got our seats at the back of the middle section and it was perfect viewing. The band of five (saxophone, guitar, piano, drums and bass) came out first and Matt Dusk soon followed. Now...I have to say that I was caught a little off guard. Okay, I was caught A LOT off guard. The Matt Dusk I pictured in my mind was not anywhere near what appeared on stage. He's a tiny guy! Handsome yes, but very slight. He had on quite a jazzy pinstriped suit, highlighted with purple and to everyone's amusement, bright blue socks! His explanation - they've been on the road a lot and he was he was at the end of his washing cycle ;o)

The band went right into the show and it was one song right after the other - A Million Kisses Late, Two Shots Of Happy And One Shot Of Sad, The Theme From Loaded Gun and a combo April Moon/Five. He belted out oldies from Frank Sinatra and Harry Connick Jr. His song Get Me To The Church On Time got new lyrics of "Get me to the bathroom on time" when one woman ran up the isle during the song :o) His attempt to convert modern music like Justin Timberlake's Sexyback into Swing was a comical attempt and I have to say that I much prefer the voice of Matt Dusk to that of Timberlake. I hate to compare Matt Dusk to those before him but he does have that smooth, buttery voice that can make any girl swoon.

The music was spectacular but so was the entertainment. Matt Dusk successfully combined his songs with humor and interaction with the audience. His band was amazing! They kept right up with the level of energy and talent. Luckily there was no underwear flying but two crazy ladies got up and danced with Matt on stage. If that were me, I would be flung right into the drums! Did I ever mention that I-cannot-dance? My one regret is that I did not bring a camera. I LOATH cell phones but that would have been the time to have one. Instead of candles or lighters being waved, there were dozen of cell phones being held up in the air, taking pictures. A brilliant invention but I still say it has its place. Before the encore, Matt ended the evening with his hit song All About Me :o) I just love that song!

DH and I were a little disappointed that it was not a sell out performance. If you ever get the chance to see Matt Dusk, we highly recommend it! It was well worth the money. We will definitely be keeping our eyes open for his return in the future. So, all in all, it was a fantastic evening and one DH and I hope to repeat again :o)

1 comment:

Faith Ann said...

That sounds like an awesome evening!

Mmmmm, Brewbakers... my favourite meal is the chicken-pasta dish that has a maple flavour.

Anyway, Saturday night sounds perfect :)