Sunday, February 25, 2007

Ten Down...40 More To Go!

Finally! Part 1 of my Marquoir Sampler is complete!

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

This took longer than expected. The color placement took a little more thought in this section so I spent a bit of extra time stitching and then frogging :o( Factor in a couple of bad stitching weeks and now I feel very unorganized and behind. I have no idea why. There's no time limit on this challenge. I guess I just know from years of experience how long a project will usually take me and seeing that this one was so simple, it should have been completed about a week ago.

I'm quite happy with the way it's turning out although I'm still skeptical that it looks too Christmassy. Those are the colors of my living room though. Maybe once I have it framed it will look more like what I have pictured in my head :o) Here is a picture of Part 1 and 2 together -

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Do you keep track of the time it takes you to stitch a project? I used to try and keep track of the hours I spent but it just never worked out. It was too hard to take into account breaks or interruptions. Basically, I was taking too much time trying to record things rather than stitching so that idea went out the window very quickly ;o) Now I have foolproof way of keeping track of things and it's much easier. I have been doing this for the past two years and so far so good!

I buy one of those small calendar booklets that will allow you to write a few things down under each date. It's small enough that I can carry it in with my stitching. Whatever I decide to stitch on that day, I mark the name of the piece, along with the initials of the designer, under the appropriate date. This not only allows me to see approximately how long it takes me to stitch a piece but how many days a week I get my stitching in :o) When a project is 100% complete, I will mark the word "completed" after it. If a project is made into an ornament I will mark the word "finished" after it. Faith Ann liked the idea so much that she started with it this year so my method of madness must be somewhat acceptable ;o)

7 comments:

Faith Ann said...

I think Marquoir Sampler is absolutely gorgeous!!

I hated tracking hours... but just tracking my stitching days is perfect for me and much easier :) Excellent idea!!

Karen said...

Your Marquoir Sampler is coming along nicely , if the colours match your living room does it matter that you feel they are Christmassy?
I do not log how long I spend stitching on a item as I tend to hop between them if I have a few on the go, If I am using a colour thats on 2 designs I may just use the rest of the bit if floss I am using on the other design rather than wind it back on the bobbin

Jenn said...

Marquoir Sampler is so pretty. I love the colors in it.

I tried to keep track of how long it takes me to work on an piece but, I never can seem to keep good track so I just work on them and just keep the start (in most cases) and finish date for my records.

Shannon said...

I think your Marquoir is looking beautiful. The colours aren't Christmassy - they're very historic in nature. Definitely looking forward to seeing how it progresses :)

I don't keep a daybook stitching journal. But I do have a book I've kept for 4-5 years. I scribble the date, what I stitched on, approximately how long (in say 15 min increments at most), and any notes or whatnot that come to mind. I mark in the margin when something is started, and when I've finished it. That way if I want to approximate how long it took to stitch something, I can. But I'm not as... anal about it. I used to use a stopwatch LOL

Anonymous said...

Thank you for your comments on my blog, Cathey! It reminded me to come visit you - always great fun!!

Your sampler is coming along beautifully!

I too don't keep a stitching journal or log my time, though I have a scrapbook/journal that I've planned to use as a stitching journal this year. Seeing as it's already Feb 26, I wonder when I think I'm going to start using it??? *lol*

Your stitch-in sounded like a wonderful time with friends. My next one's later in March - can't wait!

Carolyn said...

Great job Cathey:)

I tried a long time ago to keep track of the time I stitched,but I always loose track...so now I don't anymore.I don't really have a timetable(except when it's a gift)I just enjoy the stitching.

Leeland said...

Your Marquoir is very lovely, Cathey! It's a great achievement! I am sure that once framed, you will not see it Christmassy anymore... unless you use a golden frame! lol... To me, it is springy/summery.
Your friend's Hope Tea is very beautiful and I think it's definitely a great cause! I'll visit her site now.
Take care!
Lili