Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Deep Freeze

I can definitely say, without a doubt, that we are in the deep freeze of winter now. Boy, it was C-O-L-D out this morning! I checked the thermometer, mind you this wasn’t until 8:30 am, and it was -30 C (that's -20-F). Brrrrrrrrrr! If it were possible, I’m sure penguins would have gathered in our backyard. LOL! I love the sound that snow makes when it’s this cold. I think that’s the only thing I like about this bone chilling weather.

They say the coldest temperature on record for North America was a low of -64 C (-83 F)! It was back in 1947 in Snag, Yukon. Yikes! That’s almost unimaginable. Is it even possible to function in such a cold temperature?

When I was a teenager, I used to keep my bedroom so warm that my parents kept the door closed at all times. We had radiant heat in the ceiling and a wood furnace that ran pretty much continually. I kept the thermostat to the maximum temperature. To add to that, I had a waterbed that was heated and I had flannel sheets. Needless to say, it was a pretty toasty room and I liked it that way. Now I almost cringe to think about the electricity bills that my parents paid :oS

A few years ago I went through my first menopause and let me tell you it changed the whole chemistry of my body. I went from being cold all the time to being HOT all the time. The mythical hot flashes are in fact real, trust me ;o) I used to laugh at Mom when her glasses would fog up during one of these episodes but now I can definitely sympathize. They are not fun! I can’t tell you how embarrassing it is to be in public and have your ears turn fire engine red in a matter of seconds. LOL! For two or three years I wore t-shirts in the middle of winter and loved the idea of running outside in one when one of my hot flashes took over. I’m sure that any snow that was in a two foot meter radius around me melted from the heat of my body :o)

Now I find that I have cold and hot days. Sometimes it cuts right to the bone and other times, I just can’t cool down. I know it’s going to be a cold week here but really we shouldn’t complain. We only have less than two months of winter left and plus, it could be worse...remember it could be -64 C ;o)

3 comments:

Leeland said...

I think we -women- are quite unlucky with these heat waves and all things related...
I have read your post about cancer and your hatred of this period of the year. We have a very close friend who has experienced this when he was 29. He is now 37 and he still falls very deep every time at the same period: doesn't want to see anybody, etc. You have the right to feel sad about this, and frustrated of your dreams and hopes, and angry too. So would I.
But you're there, alive and kicking and sharing and this is a blessing.
Take care!
Lili

Jamie said...

Hey Cathey!
It's frigid here and it's not as cold as it is there! Oh snuggle up near a warm fire or heater. I'm just strutting around the apartment in heals trying to get the shoes broken in by Saturday. I'm glad I'm home alone in my sweats and silver heals!! Hope you are doing well!
{{{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}}
Jamie

Faith Ann said...

Oh, I hope you're right and there are really only two months of winter left!!