Saturday, August 22, 2009

Dunna...Dunna...

Dunna...Dunna...

Dunna...Dunna...Dunna

Dunna...Dunna...Dunna...Dunna...

Sound familiar? It should be if you've ever seen a Jaws movie ;o)

Today, DH and I went to Seafest. What is Seafest? I'm not 100% sure. This was the first time we've ever gone to one. After observation today, I'd say it's a festival with entertainment, food and...shark fishing!

Now, I've never seen a shark before and this really intrigued me. Having grown up watching all the Jaws movies, I've always been sandwiched between fear and great interest. One good reason why I will not swim in the open ocean. LOL!

I hate seeing anything harmed but I was just like a kid because I wanted to see a real shark close up...and I did! This little guy is called a Blue Shark -

Photobucket

I even got to touch it!!!! The feel of the skin is hard to describe. DH says it's like sandpaper but to me it's like a pumas stone.

We arrived at a good time because there were two boats that came in with their catch. I've uploaded some pictures into a Picasa album but I will warn you, some of the pictures may be disturbing :o(

The top contender when we left came in at 330 pounds! This was a Mako Shark. I just can't imagine trying to real that sucker in, especially while it was still alive :oS Nope, no thank you.


9 comments:

Olga said...

Seafest sounds like an interesting event but maybe not so interesting or sharks.

Rachel S-H said...

That would be neat to see.

TammyK said...

You get to do some of the most coolest things. Do they eat the meat? I nearly have a cow when I catch a 15 lb. catfish, couldn't even fathom catching a 330 lb. shark!

Unknown said...

I've seen a nurse shark (totally harmless) while snorkeling in Maui (but still stayed far away). They are very, very ancient creatures. Yes, touching them is fun (as long as they are not looking at you as dinner).

Chiloe said...

I'm going to check the pictures ;-)

Scientists say only a few kind of sharks are really dangerous to humans ;-) now you can go back to the water !!! lol

Cindy said...

That sounds like an interesting festival. I think that I would have been afraid to touch the shark, though :)

stitcherw said...

Decided to pass on the pictures, sharks just sooo creep me out. Probably to many Jaws movies too (huge shiver). Sounds like an interesting time though, however certainly would reinforce not going in the water. :)
Sue

Karen said...

i have never seen the movie Jaws read the book that was enough for this wuss
what happens to the sharks ? do they get eaten?

Annie said...

Sounds pretty brave of you to fondle sharks. The festival seems like a very cool event.