Wednesday, April 11, 2007

On This Day Three Years Ago...

A little bundle of joy was born :o)

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

This was Brie the day we arrived home with her. She was SO tiny! Resilient though! DH and I kept stepping on her and jamming her in doors. We weren't used to having something that small following us everywhere :o)

To this day I still say that she is smarter than DH and I combined. While she was in her puppy stage and still being housebroken, we gated off the small hallway off the kitchen and placed her kennel under the set tub, because both of us where working at the time. One day I came home and Brie wasn't in her kennel area. The baby gate was still up and there was no way she could have gotten under, over or around it. I eventually found her curled up in my pile of clothes in the bedroom :o) It took some time but we finally found that she had chewed through the thick plastic mesh of the baby gate. If not inspected closely, the baby gate still looked intact. Well, this was quickly remedied. DH replaced the plastic mesh with a metal mesh. We figured that would stop any further escapes. Or so we thought...

I got home from work one night and DH was waiting there for me, looking quite sternly. He asked me why I didn't put Brie into her kennel area before I left for work. He stated that when he got home, she was out and about and there was good evidence of this. I was shocked because putting her away before I left was surely something I would remember to do. So again, we found ourselves wondering how she escaped this time. The gate was intact. She couldn't fit under or around the gate. There was no bloody way she had jumped over the gate! We sat perplexed.

Finally, DH suggested that we put her in the kennel area and see if she would repeat the act. She just sat there behind the gate looking at us. So we started calling her name. She would just up against the gate but there was no way she would have been able to jump clearly over it. Then we tried toys. Again, she did the same thing. Then, as DH and I sat in the kitchen with complete blank looks on our faces, we watched as our brainchild hopped onto her kennel and then over the gate. We were dumbfounded! I'm a little biased but I think she got her intelligence from my side of the family ;o)

So Brie...Happy Birthday my little hot dog!

5 comments:

Christine S said...

Awww, she is sooo sweet!! Happy Birthday Brie!

Faith Ann said...

What an adorable picture!!! How cute is she?

LOL I don't think an escape artist is a trait that I would want in a pet.

Happy Birthday Brie!!

Unknown said...

Such a sweet innocent little thing. Happy Birthday Brie.

Karen said...

Happy Birthday Brie
LOL dogs are too funny our 2 often leave us puzzled as to how they do things or where they end up, usually they just sit there wagging their bodies and tails saying Hi mum whats to eat looking very pleased with themselves ;-)

Jenn said...

Happy Birthday Brie!!
That is the cutiest picture I've ever seen!!! I just want to pick her up and give her a great big hug.